There is something Naturopathic Doctors are well known for among their patients. Our discussions around digestion. Healthy digestion is paramount for optimal health. So… we want to know all about your poop.
Constipation is a common problem but it is very important to resolve this condition. Sluggish gut function ultimately leads to the pooling of toxicity in the body. If you can’t get it out, it re-circulates. Makes sense.
This can lead to further deterioration of the gut, congestion of the liver, bad breath, water retention, skin problems, immune weakening and much more.
Many people feel squeamish talking about it. In my office, we go there. The more we understand the health of what’s going on in there, we can more easily uncover what each person needs and give health education to help them feel amazingly healthy.
Here’s my TOP 5 Poop Solutions:
- Free Your Mind
- Stress is a major contributor to constipation. Have you ever heard of the term “rest and digest”? The digestive tract depends on downtime (mental and physical) to get it’s job done. When we are all tied up being busy and important, blood flow to the digestive tract can be restricted and the musculature that is part of this organ constricts.
- Hmmm… let’s see… contraction, restriction… that doesn’t sound like an environment for flow.
- Also holding on to negative emotions (i.e. anger, grief, hatred, fear, resentment) can also restrict and constrict the gut. Finding ways to let this go through healthy outlets like exercise, yoga, counselling, deep breathing, qi gong, tai chi, prayer or meditation is a top priority for gut health.
- Drinking enough water cannot be understated.
- Health Canada recommends 8-10 glasses of water a day. This equal 2.0-2.5 LITRES of water. Remember to drink clean filtered water. Herbal teas count, too.
- Water helps to flush the colon of stool. ‘Nuff said.
3. Eat Roughage – Non Salad Veggies & Chia Seed
- I’ve posted before and I’ll post it again… including a healthy dose of non-salad veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, green beans, asparagus, zucchini, cucumbers, celery, and so on, has way more clout that lettuce.
- Salad greens are mainly water and do not contain much fiber. Non salad greens contain lots of fiber and a little bit of water. To strengthen your gut and provide the roughage needed to push the stool through we need a healthy dose of plant fiber.
- Not to mention, choosing plant fiber from real food over taking a fiber supplement like metamucil will also provide us with a plethora of nutrients.
- I also recommend adding 2 tbsp chia seed everyday for people who are chronically constipated.
- Introducing health gut flora back in to the system can help relieve constipation.
- Buyer beware: not all probiotics are effective. Email me for more information.
5. Follow a Routine
- Meal routine, sleep routine, exercise routine = poop routine.
- Many people who find themselves out of synch will inevitably find their bowels out of synch.
- Our bodies CRAVE routine. We may not realize it when we have lost that in our lives, but once we get back to it, we feel so much better and things fall into place.
If you are already doing these things, have tried them and haven’t had success or aren’t sure were to start, talk with a Naturopathic Doctor to explore other safe, effective and balancing treatment options that are the best fit for you. For more information, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.