At our house we love our chowder! There’s something really complete about a bowl of hearty soup!
After a day of work one day, I picked up my boys from summer camp and we discussed what to have for dinner. With two growing kids, the topic of food is one we discuss a lot. On this day I was surprised to hear my oldest son’s request for a veggie chowder I made months ago. He was describing it in detail… “You know, mommy, the one with the little bits of corn and carrots. The white soup that you make.”
It was 4:30 and I thought… hmmm… that can be a pretty time intensive soup. How can I make it using some short cuts?
On this day I had a few ingredients in my pantry that I always keep for these types of spur of the moment meal ideas. I was able to pull of a tasty chowder in 30 minutes, which was right on time for a 5:00 dinner. Here’s how it went down…
2 cans of white beans
1 carton of organic veggie stock
2 carrots, peeled & chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
frozen corn, add desired amount
frozen peas, add desired amount
frozen cooked shrimp, defrosted, add desired amount (optional)
Spices & Seasonings: Paprika
Steps to Prep:
1) First thing… If adding shrimp, prepare it first… let them defrost as per the package instructions for “quick defrost.”
2) In a soup pot I added the white beans and the veggie stock. I let this simmer for 10-20 min.
3) In a second soup pot I sautéed the carrots, celery and onion in a little olive oil and a splash of veggie stock for about 10 minutes until tender.
4) Once the veggies were tender, I added the shrimp*, corn and peas and sautéed a few minutes until they were evenly heated.
5) While the veggies were finishing up, I transferred the bean and stock mixture to my blender and blended it in a couple batches until smooth.
6) Then I poured the blended soup into the pot with the veggies. I gave it a good stir to combine everything. Then seasoned with paprika and served.
* This soup can easily be made without the shrimp for a vegan option.
Quick, easy, simple… a veggie rich and fiber full wholesome meal that everyone gobbled up!