Ok… I could end my post here but I just wanted to add a couple things. The last couple hot topic posts have been about nutrition and health. It’s just such a hot topic right now. I’m so glad that we are hearing more about this through the media and studies are confirming what we have long known.
Here’s the article: Deli Dilemma: Meat and Cheese Linked to Earlier Death
The study, published in the journal Cell Metabolism showed these findings related to too much animal protein:
- 74% increased risk of mortality
- 4 times greater risk of cancer
- Plant foods like nuts and beans could reverse this risk
- “Diversity your intake” — Love that! Diversity and variety is the key to a balanced diet.
- I agree with the concluding statement that moderation is key. However, I do feel that nutrition should be individualized to what supports health in each person. Some people feel better having healthy protein options in moderation, others feel great on a plant based vegetarian or vegan diet. We are all biochemically different… but one thing is for sure… less protein is more.
- PS… a non-fat yogurt can be just as detrimental as a ball park hot dog. For more info email me…email@example.com
I was thrilled to see how many times “eating a plant based diet reduced the risk…” showed up in this post. There was a time when protein was all the rage, but the popularity of plant based nutrition that started out as a whisper is now a message we are hearing more loudly. And again, I think the more plant foods the better but those who aren’t feeling a vegan diet, there are ways to have a balance of good protein and still keep your diet healthy.