Zoo-wee-mama! (Ok… so I’m watching Diary of a Wimpy Kid way too many times over). But really, this was the feeling I had when I spotted Dinosaur Kale (aka Tuscan Kale or Lacinato Kale) I almost did a cartwheel in the grocery store.
I found Dinosaur Kale a number of years ago at a health food store in St. Catharines. Although I was thrilled to stumble upon it, I live in Niagara Falls, and I found I never made it back there to make it a regular part of our meals.
If only the regular grocery stores carried this super little green veggie. And then it happened… yes, I spotted it… right there next to the regular kale. I love regular kale, but it’s so nice to switch it up.
Plus, Dinosaur kale is flatter than regular kale, which gives it a whole new texture and preparation options.
I turned it into a raw salad. It was full of flavour, quick, easy and packed with nutrients!
Here’s what I did:
1) Fold the leaves in half and cut the centre stalk out.
2) Washed the leaves thoroughly.
3) Strained the leaves from the water and patted the excess water off the leaves.
4) Thinly sliced the leaves into strips.
5) Whisked up one of my favourite homemade dressings: 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tsp of himalayan sea salt, 1/4 diced red onion.
6) Drizzled the dressing over the kale and massaged it into the kale so all the leaves were well covered.
7) Let it sit on the countertop until ready to serve. The longer it marinades, the more tender it becomes.
Another great option with Dinosaur Kale is to add raw leaves to a smoothie. It blends really well and again it packs a super punch of nutrients and fiber, without impacting flavour.
Yes, simple things, like Dinosaur Kale, makes me happy. I hope to find this friend of mine in my grocery store again over the summer! Zoo-wee-yummy!