I made this delish salad yesterday. We were looking for a light dinner and had this along with some vegetable soup and cooked veggies. The salad was hearty and satisfying… a definite crowd pleaser. And it’s versatile… so many possible ingredient combinations!
First I prepped the ingredients…I had a hankering for caramelized onions… so I sauteed some onions until golden brown. Once I saw them get a bit golden, I took them off the heat and added 1 teaspoon of raw honey. They cooked the rest of the way with the heat from the pan and turned beautiful brown and glossy.
I decided on the other major players:
– Creamy white beans (other options: any other bean, tuna, grilled chicken)
– Tender-crisp cooked broccoli (other options: raw broccoli, raw cauliflower, steamed asparagus, green beans, roasted eggplant)
– Sun dried Tomato (other options: raw tomato, roasted red pepper)
– Walnuts …oops… absent from this picture! (other options: slivered almonds, pecan pieces, sunflower seed, etc…)
– Organic Baby Romain Lettuce (other options: organic spinach, endive, raddichio, finely grated cabbage)
+ the lovely sweet onions
Seven layers it is!
So… I started with a layer of lettuce leaves and just sprinkled the ingredients in as I fancied…
Then I put a new layer of salad greens on top and started the layering again.
And Voila! A beautiful, hearty, nutrient dense, and, above all, tasty salad! I dressed it with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and himalayan salt. Yum!